Description



Steel Ice & Stone is a multi-media interactive installation.
Nine suspended LED panels and sensor-triggered sound create an environment for memory recall.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

As the World Turns

The posts will get shorter over the next two weeks since a lot of time will be spent communicating with backers and potential ones, urging them to pledge. However, the network for the installation has grown, with well-wishers and fans around the world. True, the LED manufacturer has a vested interest in SIS, but the LED guy photographing the guys at the plant and sending me the shots is totally fun. I'm quite moved by it.


Look at this place! The shop looks clean enough to eat off the floor. In a few weeks I look forward to my stuff being built there. And while my KS is having a rough time, I'm confident that shaking up my would-be backers will get me there.


Other things has progressed this week on a technical side. In search of ideas on how to get this installation to fly (hang actually), I went to the shop in the college where I work to see what ideas could be offered. We have a full stage technology lab in our Entertainment Technology Department where students learn and sometimes develop the technology surrounding live performance. What better place than that?

The lab technician suggested that rather than hooks, using cable clamps with thimbles would do the trick. Two clamps for each wire for reinforcement, and it's fully adjustable. Great, another thing out of the way.

Didn't get to Trenton yesterday since I was having a video crisis.

But it was solved again, thanks to the handy Internet. I downloaded a sound program and edited a new sound piece, slapped together some images from another app I got from the web, and I have the new 1m45s vid below.

It's really short but I believe it says it all.

Repeating what I've been saying on this blog: This work, as with many conceptual works and performance pieces, loses everything in the translation off-site. While photos and videos help, nothing comes close to walking in the room, sliding  past the intricate images, taking in the sound and welcoming the revelation that has come into your head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.