Description



Steel Ice & Stone is a multi-media interactive installation.
Nine suspended LED panels and sensor-triggered sound create an environment for memory recall.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Mariana Cook

With less than two weeks to go and facing a mountain of obstacles pathetically mundane, I had to break my silence and begin posting again.

Another project had side-swiped me for a few months, and, while I thought I could shift gears quickly from one to to another, both projects are so intense that I had to shelve one for the moment.

So, in ten days I'm off to South America, where I will chase the life and memories of a centenarian throughout the hills and valleys of northern Colombia, the medical school in Santiago, and maybe the backstreets of Rio de Janeiro and Belo Horizonte. The Brazil trip is a maybe because it's dependent on funds and time.

I will be gone for two months, but everything goes a lot slower in South America, and I might be held back by the technology.

In the meantime, I started amassing images and ideas; Mariana Cook comes to mind. Mariana's work fell under my eyes while I was in my last year of art school, and I've been a silent fan every since. Her portraits are magnificent, but for my purposes, her stony landscapes, so carefully considered, are sleepy storytellers, one boulder on top of the other, as if delicately building a life.

Cairns and stone walls are a staple of human existence; carefully fitting heavy, inorganic objects in the hopes they will never again move betray the intention as time passes, much as memories do.

Yet, memories do move, from different parts of our bodies and minds. They shift in outlook, sometimes needing a reminder or even a resurrection. The connection of one to another, forming a vague synapse--a hand holding--allow them to age together until rustled by another event.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.