Description



Steel Ice & Stone is a multi-media interactive installation.
Nine suspended LED panels and sensor-triggered sound create an environment for memory recall.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Sound

The sound has been an uphill battle. Not conceptualizing it, but getting down to the technical processing of it. My do-it-yourself attitude needs some readjustment here; sound recording does require some time to master and the different tricks are learned on the fly. Some bytes I taped are just plain terrible and must be discarded.

But, on the aesthetic side of this component: The collection I've assembled are bird calls and machine noises. The bird calls I've collected mostly from birder cites but am looking for more. The idea for the birdcalls has been developing quite a long time when, that summer in Löwenich I heard two different bird calls. One from an amsel, the other from a dove, whose name escapes me now (but I'll get it).

Neither of the birds sounded like a machine of any kind, but, it led me to listen to bird songs, and in doing so, realized how many of them are pulses, bleats and taps resembling the machine sounds I'd taped over the years.

As time allows, I'll start processing the sound I in my library to better evaluate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.