Description



Steel Ice & Stone is a multi-media interactive installation.
Nine suspended LED panels and sensor-triggered sound create an environment for memory recall.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Shooting Notes II

Having spent most of my shooting years as a still photographer in the studio, then, outdoors shooting architecture, I remain faithful to a tripod. Not so much because I can't hold the camera stable, it's that crooked structures are unacceptable as are unaligned ones.

PShop has an excellent algorithm to take care of any flubs but I never learned it since I'm old school and prefer to spend a few minutes fixing it in-camera rather than hours on the computer. Similarly, software exists as plugins for motion editing to straighten horizons and adjust backgrounds, even though image will need cropping. I'm not editing at the moment so I haven't researched it yet; stay tuned.

For me, the same rules apply for still as for motion. I believe a straight horizon grounds the image, which can get difficult when using ultra wide lenses; everything slants inward. As I scouted locations for one of the last shoots before I leave for Cartagena, I started slicing away at the park along the river's main drive.

Since the boulevard isn't wide and traffic is one-way, it's negotiable. And, to deal with subjects moving across the screen, I thought that tethering the camera with a long lens and a high frame rate ought to give me the desired results.

However, upon testing it, a long lens flattens the scenery, pulling away the charm of the landscape. So, the conclusion is to start with the wide angle; if time allows, close-ups with the telephoto.

Shot with the long lens from slightly above.
It's easy to follow moving objects, but a lot
of the background could be forfeited.
Shot with the wide angle which
allows more room for moving
objects in the field.











I also found that honing in on the image by hand rather than the slide lever on the camera allows for slower and more deliberate zooming in, the rest can be take care of in post. Hopefully, the motion will be long and fluid, just as I want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.