Description



Steel Ice & Stone is a multi-media interactive installation.
Nine suspended LED panels and sensor-triggered sound create an environment for memory recall.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Shooting Notes

Arriving to a highly humid tropical town with a variety of equipment proved to be a good idea. Just before leaving I purchased a mirrorless camera with video capabilities and an adjustable recording speed.

Mini dolly with extendable
monopod.
 I was about to get a stabilizer/support, but backed down, thinking I didn't need it. Big mistake. Supports and rails were made for these ultra-light devices because, unlike the traditional video camera which is balanced from front to back, the leveling the horizon while shooting with an SLR-shaped device becomes a challenge.

The 3-axis crane.
So, today, I spent  time looking for a monopod with wheels (AliBaba trading has exactly what I want but will take 12 days--possibly more--to get here). I'll probably kluge something to a shopping cart or a tricycle.

As I considered a stabilizer, I came upon the exquisite Crane-M 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal by Zheyun-Tech (at B&H in New York) which stabilizes action and still cams beautifully but not my camcorder (the pull-out screen doesn't allow perfect balance).

Interesting that professional video equipment is now available for the price I purchased a consumer camera a scant four years ago. The reasoning behind my purchase was that this particular collection of cameras were well adapted to accept XLR input for the sound mic, which is critical for my work. But the pro cams have that, too.

Going forward, I'm seriously considering an upgraded camera; I'll post my research on the advantages. Then again, the motion picture Tangerine was shot on an iPhone 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.