Description



Steel Ice & Stone is a multi-media interactive installation.
Nine suspended LED panels and sensor-triggered sound create an environment for memory recall.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I'm Beginning to see the LED

Expressed in a completely different context, Lou Reed's words resonate with me this morning. Of course, his iconic song was "I'm Beginning to See the Light".

All kidding aside, I was online this morning with an LED supplier from China.  I love the Internet. I can get my 4-x-5 foot [1200 x 1500mm] panels from there.

A few things in the works: the frame around the edges is 300mm, [just shy of 1.25 in]. Off the shelf it's a shiny black, but the manufacturer will get back to me if the finish can be matted down.



The back is PVC which he said I can have in black; and the extra work to install the hanging hardware will be in the quote. If it's reasonable, I'll get a sample. Even if it needs some extra finishing, I'd be willing to do it. The hardest thing would be to refinish the frames, but I did something similar with See My Voice (the hinges for the two triptychs). With that project, I anodized them with some lethal chemical that's probably illegal now.

I'd order the sample with the hanging hardware in place. Maybe I'll like it and I won't have to drill it and finish it myself. I'm prepared--happy--to do it, though. This is the fun part because you're sewing up the little details that only you will see but brings the piece to another level and makes it truly spectacular.

He sent images of another product, an LED box with a very thin frame around the edges. The problem with that is the image substrate. Because the frame is so thin, the image is on a fabric-type material, which I imagine is ink-jet pigment (not an exposed light-sensitive material), which, I believe, wouldn't give me the hard edge that a duratrans does and that I want. I have an email out to my duratrans supplier as well.

I'll post details as they happen; I know you're out there cheering me on.

1 comment:

Thanks for your feedback.