Description



Steel Ice & Stone is a multi-media interactive installation.
Nine suspended LED panels and sensor-triggered sound create an environment for memory recall.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Coveted Connection

Time and again I look at people with many, many connections and wonder, how did they get them? Now rounding 2600 friends on FB, I can honestly say that I have personally contacted all those who sent friend requests. Some I friended because I like their work as artists; some because I like their job or the cause they're working on; some because I honestly identify with their outlook on life, even if they are in a universe far away from mine.

Social Media is, after all, the great promotion tool, but promoting what? Promoting everything from your morning coffee to the elation of creating a huge multi-media art work. [Sigh]. The central activity is getting the buzz out about the installation. I want people to know about it, to get as excited about it as I am about making it. There's something in me that tells me most people really want to hear about it, and that little cheering-on I get when someone RTs or Likes a post makes me glow.

The installation has to be experienced. How can I get people to breathe the same breath as I, see what I see, feel what I feel?

Perhaps the daily musings to it builds: A familiarity cements an identification with the struggles and successes a consuming endeavor demands. Or, an understanding develops rather than a presentation being absorbed on an intellectual level. Appealing to the heart rather than the mind is what's going on here, doing it through the dairy of a morphing concept is the vehicle.

Jonas Mekas with his Bolex not far
from the Anthology Film Archives
he founded.
I have often spoken about Jonas Mekas' film diary of Lithuanian-American immigrant life. It moves slowly, but it is a document that exists at the moment of its creation, without reflection: a raw, unconsidered moment of life lived to its fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.