Description



Steel Ice & Stone is a multi-media interactive installation.
Nine suspended LED panels and sensor-triggered sound create an environment for memory recall.

Friday, May 31, 2013

The Well-Tipped Bartender

How to express what an abstract piece is about without turning it into a pedestrian exercise?

Or worse: crossing the line to a maudlin outpouring of revelations not even a well-tipped bartender would want to hear?

Painfully aware of installation as therapy, installation as rebellion, installation as prozac. Sometimes it surpasses these. Recalling when I called a friend asking her if she wanted to go see the Cindy Sherman show at MoMA last year. My friend said: "the last thing I want to see is a neurotic Jewish woman playing dress-up".

Wow! But rethinking this rather strong opinion, I have some peeves of my own: family fine art photography work, especially by women, especially of white indigent families.

The graduate school I went to was rife with this kind of work when I was there, and I had a rough time. I was dealing with family issues myself but flatly refused to use images of my relatives to illustrate my confrontations. My work didn't go over well, and, while the photos were pretty good, they didn't express what I was after, either.

Can someone pour a nice Manhattan?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.